Ellen Lubin-Sherman explains that you don't need to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth to be truly fabulous in her new book The Essentials of Fabulous: Because Whatever Doesn't Work Here Anymore (2010).
Here is the synopsis of The Essentials of Fabulous from the back cover:
Count your lucky stars if you grew up without one illustrious relative to your name. That means you aren't under the delusion that you've inherited some magical gene or magnificent bankroll that makes you fabulous. It also means that you may be in on a secret: No one is born fabulous.
Here are some tips from Ellen, that were given to me with the press release, to help moms break back into the business world or just step up their game:
- Dress for the paparazzi: Fabulous people have serious flair–and killer style. Stick with the basics as you’re starting out. Repeat after me: white button-down, grey cardigan, a great rain coat and accessories, accessories, accessories.
- E-mail like a pro: Each should have a grabbing subject, a warm greeting, the meaty point of the e-mail and a concluding sentence. Be concise and clear.
- Spell-Check is king: Anything you write, from an e-mail to a tweet, should be proofread. No excuses.
- Know something: Read the paper–always have a conversation-starter in your pocket.
- Manners matter: Handwritten thank-you notes never go out of style and are rarely forgotten.
- Banish “whatever”: Everything matters. Yoga pants to anything other than yoga class? What if you meet your future employer while you’re out?
- Be Real: Be professional. Be polite. Apologize when you’ve made a faux pas, don’t act like nothing happened.
- Be proactive, not reactive: Don’t assume everyone at a meeting knows each other–make introductions and render yourself impossible to forget!
The Essentials of Fabulous was quite amazing. It was well written, humorous and oh-so-true. She has tons of great information and was remarkably down to earth throughout. It was easy to read. I would definitely recommend this book to women who are heading back into the workforce or really just want to ensure they have the edge in business.
Thank you to Media Muscle for my sample used in this review, opinions are honest review by Michelle.
Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!